Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Merrick Road & Jackson Ave.


A reader inquired whether I had a photo of Powell's Hotel. Yes, I took several street photos during our first years in Seaford, and about 2010 I scanned some. However, with too many of my scans, I did not record the date of the photo itself. The hotel above, on the northwest corner of Merrick Road and Seaford Avenue, was replaced by the Long Island Savings Bank, currently named Astoria Bank, and in 2017 to be purchased by Sterling National Bank of Rockland County.
When Merrick Road was widened after the above photo, the electric distribution lines were moved behind the buildings.  Also, please note the fire alarm call box on the pole.  I have been unable to learn the year when the Seaford Fire Department introduced these telegraph alarm boxes, nor have I been able to learn when they were removed.
Clicking on a photo will enlarge it.










4 comments:

Unknown said...

My dad Ralph Pessa used to play softball for Powells back in around 1965. There was a bar in the front and if his team won we used to go there and he had a couple of beers and us kids had chips and coke. Loved it and the smell of the place. We would go a couple of blocks down and sometimes go to All American hamburgers after the games also. Great times!

Unknown said...

I read somewhere in the past that Babe Ruth came here sometimes to indulge in drink, I can't find where I read that, sorry. If anyone can confirm this ,please do so.

Joe said...

Regarding Babe Ruth visiting Seaford, yes, I also read that report about famous visitors to hotels along Merrick Road. The Seaford Public library has an excellent selection of books about Seaford History, and it might be possible to find the reference to famous visitors.

Mac said...

From the time I was an infant until it closed, I was a regular at Powells. Sounds funny but true as my Grandmother Eleanor Woerle "Ellie" was the Bar maid there from about 1960 until it closed. My mother would pack up my brother and me and off to the bar we would go. We would all hang out at the bar while my grandmother worked. I was always fascinated by the old wooden telephone booth in the bar. Times sure were different back then.